CTS was recently recognized for our work on a historic federal building project in Washington DC and received an infrastructure renovation project of the year award from the Concrete Sawing & Drilling Association (CSDA). In 2013, a downtown Washington, DC Federal building developed a plan to renovate for $220 million. The goal was to preserve the original architecture while adding on a more efficient security area and conference facility. Concrete Technology Services Mid-Atlantic, Inc was hired to perform the abatement, interior, exterior and structural concrete demolition.
The CSDA recognized our company during this years World of Concrete held in February 2020 in Las Vegas for our outstanding performance giving the building a “facelift” as Concrete Openings calls it. This was the seventh annual Concrete Awards distributed by the CSDA. CTS was honored with one of the four 2019 Project of the Year Awards.
This project was our team’s largest and most complex demolition and cutting project in our history. Below is the extent of the scope:
• All structural engineering analysis of the building during construction activities including shoring, demolition and safety requirements of the renovation
• Lead and asbestos abatement
• Engineer and install all shoring necessary during demolition activities
• Remove the 12-floor elevator core structure, two elevators and adjacent bay
• Remove 6,000 linear feet of steel beams
• Remove 5,000 cubic yards of concrete
• Remove the building’s top roof
• Scarify the lower roof to accept a roofing water membrane and new concrete
• Remove the entire parapet from the perimeter of the roof, which included an engineered safety net system to catch any potential falling debris
• Perform demolition and saw cutting of precast covers including the structural slab under the covers that supported precast in 15 locations without damaging 50-year-old precast
• Drill 2,000 holes through wide flanged steel beams encased in concrete
• Remove three steel guard shacks
• GPR imaging for all drilling necessary for new utilities
This project is ongoing for our team and the project value is growing immensely. We are extremely grateful for this CSDA concrete award. A few of the notable photos are below.